UTAH COUNTY – Utah County Commissioner Tanner Ainge thinks some businesses should be open for business despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
Commissioner Ainge tweeted Thursday about the high number of people filing for unemployment as a reason to reconsider whether some companies should reopen.
“For the sake of these 16M newly unemployed, their health, the loved ones who depend on them, and the millions more coming each week…We have to get back to work. Within 10 days we need an announcement of at least a partial reopening beginning in 30 days or less,” Ainge tweeted.
Long-term unemployment already hurting Utahns
The tweet got a lot of attention online, but Commissioner Ainge told KSL News Radio’s Live Mic with Lee Lonsberry that long term unemployment is already affecting people.
“That is a heavy, heavy burden, and the economic carnage of this is already adding up…I think that if we have some ideas of how we can get some people back to work safely and responsibly, we need to start as soon as possible,” Ainge said.
For the sake of these 16M newly unemployed, their health, the loved ones who depend on them, and the millions more coming each week…
— Tanner Ainge (@TannerAinge) April 9, 2020
Commissioner Ainge says he supports social distancing guidelines but thinks now is the time to put plans in place.
“On one end of the spectrum, it’s those who’ve already had it, who’ve been tested…who can go back to work. That’s a relatively small pool. On the other end, there are a group of people who are at lower risk,” Ainge said.
Some businesses are ready to protect workers
And the Commissioner believes some businesses are already set up to protect workers.
“Not to mention all of the jobs that still can be done while still practicing social distancing. I think we can be creative, and I believe in incremental improvement, ” Ainge said.
Ainge also pointed out Dr. Anthony Fauci, Bill Gates, President Trump, and former President Obama have all supported letting some businesses reopen soon.
Today’s Top Stories
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- All Utah 24 Hour Fitness locations to close, customers transferred to VASA
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Video of accusations at a fast and testimony meeting sparks response
- Giovanni Pangan, Philippines mission president, dies of heart attack
- Passengers stuck on Amtrak train for about 20 hours finally on their way