SOUTH SALT LAKE – The men’s resource center in South Salt Lake will become a quarantine facility after two people staying there in different dorms both tested positive for COVID-19.
That means the men who are there have to stay there, while The Road Home, who operates the shelter, will not be taking in anymore homeless for the time being as a quarantine facility.
Katherine Fife, Salt Lake County’s director of programs and partnerships, tells KSL-TV the change was made on Friday. The county health department is there to test everyone for COVID-19.
“What that essentially means now is the remaining individuals who are at the men’s resource center are going to be monitored and tested and treated there,” Fife says.
But those who need more medical care will get it.
“If anybody does show symptoms [of COVID-19], then they will be connected with the right healthcare provider or a hospital as necessary,” Fife says.
Salt Lake County confirmed on Thursday that someone staying at the shelter had come down with COVID-19. Later that evening, the second case was discovered in another dorm.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Resources for more information:
State of Utah: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Advice from a registered sex offender: teach your kids
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- China pushes conspiracy theories on COVID origin, vaccines
- Mercy Housing Mountain Plains
- “Freak accident” claims two moose calves near Mountain Dell Golf Course
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- Chip Hayes – South Summit Middle School
- Sneakers designed in honor of Obama to go on sale for $25,000
- Cops looking for woman after she allegedly uses a taser on 9-year-old boy