LEHI, Utah – US-89 in Lehi will close Friday night, for the next 10 days because of construction.
Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) Communication director, Geoff Dupaix, said this is to bring down the bridge at I-15.
State Street in Lehi will close under I-15 for bridge demolition and reconstruction for up to 11 days. Drivers will be detoured to 850 East or Lehi Main Street. pic.twitter.com/62owOlBmI7
— I-15 Technology Corridor (@i15techcorridor) April 16, 2020
“We are demolishing the final section of the bridge over State Street, which began two years ago,” Dupaix said. “This is the third and final stage of reconstruction in this area.”
Drivers will be diverted from State Street (US-89) onto Lehi Main Street under I-15, and then connect back to State Street a couple blocks away. Dupaix says the detour will only add a minute or two to the commute.
He also said with so few cars on the roadway, it makes perfect sense to close for a full 10 days.
“The original plan was to have weekend and overnight closures,” Dupaix said. “Which would have taken a lot longer to do.”
Once US-89 is reopened on April 27, UDOT will shift traffic on I-15. Dupaix said lanes will move to the outside, instead of having to crossover to the opposite side of freeway.
In Salt Lake County, drivers in West Valley will also contend with a freeway closure. SR-201 will be shut down in both directions at 5600 West for construction to demolish a bridge.
- Westbound S.R. 201 closed from Friday, April 17, at 8 p.m. to Saturday, April 18, at 8 a.m.
- Both directions on S.R. 201 closed from Saturday, April 18, at 8 p.m. to Sunday, April 19, at 10 a.m.
- Both directions on S.R. 201 reduced to one lane from Sunday, April 19, at 6 p.m. to Monday, April 20, at 5 a.m.
All traffic will exit at 5600 West onto a new frontage road and then get right back on the 201 Freeway. UDOT is asking drivers to stay alert and follow the detour signs.
Today’s Top Stories
- Wendy’s breakfast is starting to roll out
- Need something last minute? Here’s what is open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Live Mic: Ideas for needed police reform
- Three arrests in connection with Sapphire Drive homicide in Sandy
- Peace and conflict: Talking politics and navigating tension over the holidays
- UDOT will not re-open several popular seasonal roads, for now
- WATCH: President Trump says he’s doing “very well” in video before heading…
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details
- Doctor: Utah’s COVID-19 infection rate is a concern, hospitalizations stabilize
- Salt Lake City School District taking heat for canceling school at the last minute