SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson says she’s disappointed and upset after the Saturday rally in Salt Lake City.
Hundreds of people gathered at Washington Square to ask that businesses be allowed to operate again. They say people are suffering and the economy is tanking.
But Wilson told the KSL and Deseret News Editorial Boards it was an “egregious” violation of the county’s public health order banning mass gatherings. And she fears it could lead to more coronavirus cases.
“Anytime you have 1,000 people (gather), you could potentially have more cases,” Wilson said.
She says she may advise “law enforcement take a little stronger presence” for a future rally or gatherings in Salt Lake.
Police say they stationed around the rally, But they did not take any action nor issue any citations.
The group Utah Business Revival organized Saturday’s rally. They are planning something in Utah county on May 2nd, where they hope to have businesses open booths.
Groups around the country have been protesting stay-home orders. They marched in Phoenix and Pennsylvania on Monday and will gather at the state capitols of Missouri and North Carolina on Tuesday.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘Diesel Brothers’ ordered to pay $850k for violating Clean Air Act
- UPDATE: Family confirms remains found at Daybell home are missing children
- Mail-in mistakes: how to make sure your ballot and vote count
- Earthquake in Utah causes chemical spill at Kennecott plant, but no danger to public health
- New study: excessive screen time can stunt child development
- Ford recalls 2 million vehicles because the doors could open while driving
- Meat monopoly: Utah AG concerned about possible meat price-fixing
- Volunteers of America
- Possible coronavirus on cruise ship causes huge problems for Utah couple
- Utah missionary killed in Georgia bike accident