(CNN) — Time to hit rewind.
The first YouTube video ever was uploaded on April 23, 2005 — exactly 15 years ago, today.
YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim posted the 18-second video, titled “Me at the zoo.” It has since garnered over 90 million views. To this day, it is the only video on Karim’s channel.
Upon clicking play, the screen fills with a young Karim’s face, his disheveled hair taking up the screen front and center.
“Alright,” Karim begins. “So here we are, in front of the elephants.”
There he is. In front of the elephants.
“The cool thing about these guys is that they have really, really, really long, um, trunks,” he continues. “And that’s, that’s cool.”
Unlike many YouTube creators’ videos these days, Karim’s video does not include what’s considered the more traditional sign off: “Subscribe to my channel!” or “Like, rate, comment!”
He ends the video simply by stating: “And that’s pretty much all there is to say.”
A year after “Me at the zoo,” Karim and fellow co-founders sold the platform to Google for a whopping $1.65 billion.
Now, the platform boasts more than 2 billion logged-in users visit each month, according to YouTube.
In the past decade and a half, YouTube has seen many highs and lows.
Among the lows: A surge in hate speech videos (including videos by prominent white supremacists); drama around certain creators (including PewDiePie, one YouTube’s biggest stars who faced allegations of racism and anti-Semitism); and frustration from some creators.
YouTube says one billion hours of content is watched daily.
And it all began with Karim, at the zoo.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sergeant Dusty Butler, Emery County Sheriff’s Office
- Abe Yospe – Westland Elementary
- Jason Ruch, Saratoga Springs PD
- Jeremy Barnes, Utah Department of Public Safety
- Romance scam uses military photos to fool widow
- Officer Preston Casey, Centerville
- Most Deseret Industries stores along the Wasatch Front open by Friday, with changes
- Much of Utah under severe weather warnings
- Stephanie Povey – Morgan Elementary School
- Chelsea Manning jailed for refusing to testify on Wikileaks