Davis County School District will hold virtual graduations for 2020 seniors
DAVIS COUNTY– Davis County School District (DCSD) announced all graduation ceremonies will be virtual graduations due to COVID-19 coronavirus concerns.
Traditional graduation was discussed, the district said in a statement. But it ultimately decided on virtual graduations for the Class of 2020.
DCSD prefaced the decision on school being back in session next school year.
“While graduation is at the forefront of the minds of many, the district is also preparing and anticipating the opening of school next year.”
“The health and safety of students, staff, and families [are] paramount,” said DCSD.
Lack of COVID-19 treatment options
A lack of COVID-19 coronavirus treatment options was also a factor in the district’s decision.
“Currently, the washing of hands, the covering of noses and mouths when sneezing, not touching one’s face, the use of face masks or bandanas and the practice of social distancing — even for groups of 10 people — remain the only remedies currently available to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus,” said DCSD.
DCSD said the Utah Board of Education supports the idea of virtual graduations.
The Board of Education encouraged “virtual graduations that can be accessed by every family and celebrated in a way they see fit in their home,” with the collaboration of staff and student leaders to create an excellent graduation experience.
Families are aware of the district plans
The steps being taken by the district to coordinate an online ceremony has been communicated to families.
Some of the measures include:
- Presentation of all graduates, including an individual portrait of every student in a cap, gown, and other graduation regalia. Those portraits would be part of an individual video segment that would include a personalized statement of gratitude and a list of accomplishments or extracurricular activities.
- Speeches from student representatives, the school principal, and a school board member.
- Musical numbers, video highlights, and other school graduation traditions.
Davis County will broadcast all school graduation ceremonies on social media on May, 26th at 6 p.m.
Information on where families and stream graduation is still forthcoming.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707