SALT LAKE CITY — An explosion inside a boiler room at the Little America Hotel sends two workers to the hospital, but, officials say they’re expected to fully recover.
The explosion happened in a residential portion of the hotel on the east side of the complex, next to Main Street. Salt Lake Fire Captain Tony Stowe says two people were doing some work on the boiler when something went wrong.
He says,“It appears, at this time, it may have had an over-pressurization problem causing injuries to the two individuals who were inside.”
Both of them had to be rushed to the hospital. One had significant burns and respiratory problems because of the steam. Luckily, the building had already been cleared out and guests were moved out before the repairs had even started, so, no one else was hurt.
“Due to their low occupancy, they were able to evacuate that whole building because they anticipated the outage from the service,” Stowe says.
Hazmat crews were also sent due to the explosion causing damage to a nearby natural gas line, and some of that gas leaked.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah driver licenses will soon get a “gold star”
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- The 5 Best Food and Board Game Pairings
- Utah doctor details his history with heroin and cocaine addiction
- Marc Miller & Seth Peterson, Probation Officers
- Dropping mask mandate in April is too soon, county mayor says
- Nichole Warren-Doman – Orion Junior High
- RV, Starbucks at center of traffic snarl in SLC
- Open Doors