(CNN) — Talk about wild casting news.
Nicolas Cage has been tapped to play Joe Exotic, the subject of the popular Netflix docuseries “Tiger King,” in a limited series that is currently in development.
CBS TV Studios, Imagine Television Studios and Make Good Content are among those behind the eight-episode TV series, which will be taken to networks “in the next few days,” according to CBS.
Cage would also be set as an executive producer on the project through his company, Saturn Films.
The show will be based on a Texas Monthly article, “Joe Exotic: A Dark Journey Into the World of a Man Gone Wild,” by Leif Reigstad, which was optioned by showrunner Dan Lagana and Make Good Content’s Paul Young in June 2019.
Lagana has an overall deal at CBS Television Studios.
The logline for the series reads: “The story centers around Joe Shreibvogel, an eccentric, exotic zookeeper in Oklahoma who fights to keep his park — even at the risk of losing his sanity. The series will live in the lion’s den with Joe, explore how he became Joe Exotic, and how he lost himself to a character of his own creation.”
Joseph Maldonado-Passage (né Shreibvogel) is currently in prison. Earlier this year, he was sentenced to 22 years for his role in a murder-for-hire plot and killing tigers.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Surgeon General on coronavirus: ‘This week is going to get bad’
- Utah man gets up to life in prison in ex-girlfriend’s death
- Cops looking for woman after she allegedly uses a taser on 9-year-old boy
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- HOAX ALERT: Health officials warn about color-coded masks flyer
- Mercy Housing Mountain Plains
- China pushes conspiracy theories on COVID origin, vaccines
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- Sneakers designed in honor of Obama to go on sale for $25,000
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound