(CNN) — Talk about wild casting news.
Nicolas Cage has been tapped to play Joe Exotic, the subject of the popular Netflix docuseries “Tiger King,” in a limited series that is currently in development.
CBS TV Studios, Imagine Television Studios and Make Good Content are among those behind the eight-episode TV series, which will be taken to networks “in the next few days,” according to CBS.
Cage would also be set as an executive producer on the project through his company, Saturn Films.
The show will be based on a Texas Monthly article, “Joe Exotic: A Dark Journey Into the World of a Man Gone Wild,” by Leif Reigstad, which was optioned by showrunner Dan Lagana and Make Good Content’s Paul Young in June 2019.
Lagana has an overall deal at CBS Television Studios.
The logline for the series reads: “The story centers around Joe Shreibvogel, an eccentric, exotic zookeeper in Oklahoma who fights to keep his park — even at the risk of losing his sanity. The series will live in the lion’s den with Joe, explore how he became Joe Exotic, and how he lost himself to a character of his own creation.”
Joseph Maldonado-Passage (né Shreibvogel) is currently in prison. Earlier this year, he was sentenced to 22 years for his role in a murder-for-hire plot and killing tigers.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- USU’s “True Aggie Night” tradition up in the air during the pandemic
- Utah limo companies face inspections like buses, trucks
- Bail reform becomes legislative spotlight in Utah once again
- Parents of Chad Daybell reach out; vigil planned to honor slain children
- Thousands of tiger muskies swim into new reservoir home
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Utah AMC Theaters reopen with new rules
- Man arrested in possible Hunter High abduction
- New wildlife bridge comes with cameras, warnings
- Nearly 400 years in the making, ‘Christmas Star’ visible tonight