SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — It took Utah a few weeks longer than most states, but the average gallon of gas is now under $2. According to Gas Buddy, the average cost is $1.98.
The low numbers are a welcome sight to motorists, but many may be surprised to find out it pales in comparison to elsewhere in the country. Utah’s average is currently 20 cents higher than the national average. In fact, the Beehive State ranks ninth in most expensive for gasoline throughout the nation.
Retail gas rollercoaster
However, Utah’s numbers continue to fall while they quickly climb in other states. Since early April, the average price in the state is down 33 cents. Just over last week, Wisconsin climbed 27 cents and Ohio rose by 19 cents.
Right now it will cost you the most to fill up in Hawaii, where the average retail gasoline price is $3.16. The states with the cheapest prices are Oklahoma ($1.37 a gallon), Arkansas ($1.39) and Missouri ($1.44).
With that in mind, this likely is the bottom of the roller coaster in Utah. For those looking to take advantage, some price shopping can reveal even better deals.
For example, those who made the trip to Costco in West Valley City were rewarded with gas at $1.47 on Monday.
Among Utah’s 29 counties, Sevier has the cheapest average price at just $1.31 a gallon. Also coming in at or below average are Juab at $1.88 and Utah at $1.89.
The highest average among the counties was $2.24 in Piute. While Beaver, Garfield and Rich all average $2.23
Among other Wasatch Front counties, Davis and Weber reported a $2 a gallon average price.
Today’s Top Stories
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- Homeless man filmed shaving on train, mocked on Twitter
- Earthquake in Utah causes chemical spill at Kennecott plant, but no danger to public health
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- United Angels Foundation
- Elizabeth Smart reveals details of assault, and what she’s doing about it
- Ingenuity Mars helicopter: The historic journey to fly on another planet
- Man arrested in connection with body found in Ogden
- OPINION: I’ve learned a lot about myself because of COVID-19
- Rep. Logan Wilde defends bill that would limit city’s powers to restrict zoning for…