SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Workforce Services says state residents filed 9,057 new jobless claims last week, down 23% from the week before.
The three areas of the economy affected most by recent layoffs according to the DWS were Office and Administrative Support (13%), Sales and Related Occupations (11%), and Food Preparation and Serving (7%).
Insurance Division director Kevin Burt says that he’s been grateful for the patience of everyone involved in the process of getting these unemployment claims filed.
“We are grateful for everyone that has continued to be patient as the incredible staff process this record volume of claims and meet this demand, with the state moving to the orange moderate risk factor, we remind claimants returning to work to accurately report wages earned during your weekly claim.”
The DWS also reports 3,305 individuals also ended their unemployment insurance claim last week as well.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- Rebecca Ray – American Preparatory Academy
- Forest Service letting the East Fork Fire burn
- Deputies arrest woman for burglary out of Washington Terrace
- Hurricane State Liquor Store closes, employee tests positive for COVID-19
- Casey Scott, 200 days sober, opens up about the problems that led to his horrifying crash
- Parents concerned about cell towers at Jordan Ridge Elementary
- Police investigate homicide in Park City Hotel
- Sayers, Piccolo friendship lives on in ‘Brian’s Song’
- Man dies while swimming in cold waters at Utah reservoir