SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Workforce Services says state residents filed 9,057 new jobless claims last week, down 23% from the week before.
The three areas of the economy affected most by recent layoffs according to the DWS were Office and Administrative Support (13%), Sales and Related Occupations (11%), and Food Preparation and Serving (7%).
Insurance Division director Kevin Burt says that he’s been grateful for the patience of everyone involved in the process of getting these unemployment claims filed.
“We are grateful for everyone that has continued to be patient as the incredible staff process this record volume of claims and meet this demand, with the state moving to the orange moderate risk factor, we remind claimants returning to work to accurately report wages earned during your weekly claim.”
The DWS also reports 3,305 individuals also ended their unemployment insurance claim last week as well.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Update: Police identify man in Echo nightclub shooting
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- Salt Lake City School District gears up for the year to start online
- 5 tips to stop touching your face
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- CNN and ‘Sesame Street’ to host a town hall addressing racism
- Find a Way Out! 3 Ways You Can Stay Safe During a Mass Shooting Situation Anywhere You Are