SALT LAKE CITY — A structure fire and downed powerlines forced the evacuations of some residents in Salt Lake City Friday morning near Smith’s Ballpark.
Salt Lake City Fire says crews on the scene near 1366 Major Street were also dealing with downed power lines in the area.
Crews are still working at this incident. Three noble homes involved pic.twitter.com/pGUwIC5yT7
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) May 11, 2020
Firefighters were called out to the area near 13th South and State Street shortly after 5:30 AM. Initial reports are of three mobile home units that caught fire.
Captain Anthony Burton says two of the mobile homes have extensive damage, while a third unit is totally destroyed. There are no estimates of damage for the first two.
Crews continue to focus on the destroyed home after receiving initial reports of a person trapped inside.
“That trailer has extensive damage,” explains Captain Burton. “We haven’t been able to completely search that mobile home at this point to confirm that we don’t have a victim.”
Officials also aren’t putting a number to how many people are being evacuated. Due to the downed power lines, power is being shut off to the entire mobile home community.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated.
Today’s Top Stories
- NFL wades back into controversy with new Super Bowl police shooting ad
- Knolls Fire Update: Evacuation order lifted but still possible, only 25% contained
- Oklahoma lawmaker proposes ‘Bigfoot’ hunting season
- Countdown to Super Tuesday: Candidates hope Utah voters will energize their campaigns
- Super Tuesday votes and delegate counts could take time in Utah
- Utah agriculture and food: cook any seeds you receive from China
- VOTE: What is the most popular candy in Utah?