SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Fire crews are responding to a structure fire in downtown Salt Lake City near 120 South and 300 East.
300 East has been closed between 100 and 200 South.
Checking out a structure fire 120 S 300 East. A lot of people evacuated. pic.twitter.com/7TnUOlIiAn
— Mary Richards (@kslmrichards) May 12, 2020
Captian Anthony Burton from SLC Fire says that they received a notifier alarm from the building just before 7:00 a.m.
“When crews arrived, they had heavy smoke coming from the upper floors and through the roof. That quickly developed to heavy smoke and flames.”
Burton says that they began evacuations and says that everyone got out safely and only one firefighter was injured.
Investigators are on scene looking into the causes of the fire.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- AMBER Alert system on pause after empty message in middle of night
- Now’s your chance to pick up US postage stamps honoring military dogs
- Utah offers to pay public employees to fill their prescriptions in Mexico
- LDS Church: April General Conference will be “technology only”
- If you build it … White Sox and Yankees to play at ‘Field of Dreams’ movie…
- Cougar leaves mark on Herriman driveway
- Backcountry avalanche alert in effect as crews mitigate risk
- Gov. Cox: Misinformation about COVID vaccines is dangerous
- Right on the Money: how to deal with ‘Boomerang Kids’
- Fact Check: What’s in the coronavirus vaccines and how does it work?