SALT LAKE CITY — The directors of the Utah Shakespeare Festival (the Festival) announced on Tuesday that they have canceled the Festival’s 2020 season.
Directors cite the safety and health of the Festival’s staff, artists, audiences, and the southern Utah community as their reasons for the unprecedented cancelation.
“This is a direct result of the devastating impacts of COVID-19 in performing arts,” said Frank Mack, executive producer, in a statement released to media.
The Festival had announced a revised season on April 13. But Festival officials say now that there are too many obstacles to overcome.
“When we announced our revised season, we indicated that we would cancel our season if we had to, and sadly, it has come to that,” Mack said.
One obstacle is a requirement from the Actor’s Equity Association (AEA), the union of professional actors and stage managers.
The AEA said they would not offer contracts to professional theatres until the theatres had new safety protocols written and implemented.
The Festival says they support this decision by the AEA.
The cancelation has the potential of greatly impacting the economy of Cedar City, the host city, as well as the entire southern Utah region.
According to an economic impact statement provided on the Utah.gov website, “the total economic impact of the Utah Shakespeare Festival is estimated at more than $35 million annually.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Three arrests in connection with Sapphire Drive homicide in Sandy
- Need something last minute? Here’s what is open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound
- Florida vacation home invaded by vomiting vultures
- New wildlife bridge comes with cameras, warnings
- UPDATE: Search crews find missing 17-year-old in Millcreek Canyon
- UPDATE: Boil water order remains for 72 hours in parts of Pleasant Grove City
- Medical pot users face barriers in Utah after legalization
- Salt Lake Community College