ERDA, Utah — Paige Kennedy is graduating with a 3.9 GPA and plenty of honors. She will attend Southern Utah University on a full scholarship and plans on studying chemistry, but it took more than just brains to get to the top of the class. Paige has dealt with major anxiety for years.
“I started struggling when I was in seventh and eighth grade and through my freshman year. It was really hard for me to go and talk to my teachers, so I had a hard time with my grades,” Kennedy says.
Anxiety can be tough for anyone to go through, but it can be extra difficult when you are a girl in high school.
“I am a very strong feeler, and I take on other people’s emotions very easily. High schoolers are dramatic. Girls are dramatic, and it’s hard for me to be around dramatic people because I take on that emotion myself and it puts me in a really hard place…I’ve taken on their problems, and they’re not mine,” Kennedy says.
It has gotten easier for Paige with the help of her mother, Monica.
“Struggling with anxiety, and depression as well, we had to come up with ways for me to calm down and feel safe. My mom always knows what to do. Sometimes I don’t necessarily want to listen to her because I’m struggling. But everything that I’ve done so far, I owe it all to my mom,” Kennedy says.
Monica Kennedy started a Facebook group called “Adopt A Senior“, which helps people give gifts to the Class of 2020. The Kennedys have adopted a few graduates themselves, while Paige has also gotten gifts.
Paige is training to be a pharmacy technician right now and hopes to someday work in a lab to find cures for diseases…or maybe even the vaccine for COVID-19.
“I’ve always been interested in science, and I’ve always loved helping people, so I was already planning on that…This whole COVID thing has definitely made me want to help more people,” Kennedy says.
Class of 2020
Today’s Top Stories
- Nintendo is bringing back a super-retro handheld from the 1980s
- Family announces they’ll say goodbye to Dixie, a dog burned for revenge
- Parents, teachers, students sound off on later school start times
- ‘Anonymous’ hacker group threatens to “expose many crimes” of Minneapolis PD
- OPINION: The University of Utah Police could have saved Lauren McCluskey’s life
- Utah lawmakers push back on ‘America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act’
- Charter school teacher charged with child abuse
- Killer’s lifetime of evil backed up by a prodigious memory
- An 8 year old girl wants to make all Utah police officers happy
- Site of Mackenzie Lueck murder up for sale… described as what?