SALT LAKE CITY — Normally, no one would use the words “yellow” and “pool” in the same sentence. But here we are, with most of the state in yellow.
According to the Salt Lake County Department of Health, group swimming is a go, now that most of the state is transitioning from “orange” to yellow in its coronavirus risk assessment.
“But it’s not going to be a free-for-all,” said Teresa Gray, Water Quality Manager for the Health Department. “Social distancing is required both in AND out of the pool, and hand washing and showers before getting in is strongly encouraged.”
Distancing won’t be required for those in the same household. Gray says monitoring social distancing is not going to be on lifeguards, that pool managers would like to have an additional staff doing that while walking around.
“And individuals are going to have to be responsible for themselves,” Gray added.
Gray said that some pools might not open when they normally do. This is due to staffing issues or the inability to keep employees and the public safe. The rules apply not only to municipal pools but also Home Owners Associations, condos, apartment complexes, hotels, and motels.
Gray says there is no proof that standard pool water can transmit the virus.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Courage Reins
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Pres. Trump escalates war on Twitter, social media protections
- Grandfather of suspect in the death of little girl says he is a troubled family member
- African Gray parrot still missing – Bluffdale owners offer reward