LAFAYETTE, Ga. — A Utah man serving as a missionary in the Tennessee Knoxville Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints died after a bike accident in Georgia.
Elder McKay Bergeson, 19, of Bountiful, was struck by a vehicle while riding his bike in LaFayette, Georgia, a small city near the Tennessee state line and considered part of the greater Chattanooga metropolitan area.
In a statement, church officials said his missionary companion was not hurt in the bike crash.
Elder Bergeson had been serving in the region since December.
Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff wrote, “We express our sympathy and heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones as they mourn his passing and remember his life.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Former missionary finds hope after becoming an addict
- 36 years after Joyce Yost’s assault, rape victims have more help, but key funding has lapsed
- Distracted driving fight hits a big roadblock: we won’t give up our phones
- Davis County leaders feeling pressure to increase mask wearing, mull possible requirement
- Salt Lake City woman warns others about employment scam
- Pope arrives in Iraq to rally Christians despite pandemic
- Lee Lonsberry steps up to the mic at KSL
- Donovan Mitchell surprises students at Kearns High School
- Here’s everything you need to know about iOS 14
- Reigning NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes suffers freak kneecap dislocation