LAFAYETTE, Ga. — A Utah man serving as a missionary in the Tennessee Knoxville Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints died after a bike accident in Georgia.
Elder McKay Bergeson, 19, of Bountiful, was struck by a vehicle while riding his bike in LaFayette, Georgia, a small city near the Tennessee state line and considered part of the greater Chattanooga metropolitan area.
In a statement, church officials said his missionary companion was not hurt in the bike crash.
Elder Bergeson had been serving in the region since December.
Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff wrote, “We express our sympathy and heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones as they mourn his passing and remember his life.”
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘I just wanted to be better’: Utah woman details experience with heroin addiction
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- What happened? Anatomy of a violent NASCAR crash
- How someone’s pet goldfish destroyed an entire ecosystem at Maple Lake
- Mom has warning for others after getting scary phone call
- Hill Air Force Base Open Aircraft Day
- Opinion: Mexico needs our help to avoid becoming “failed state”
- Salt Lake City police respond to hundreds of calls because of the wind
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason