UTAH — Those who usually travel Mirror Lake or Guardsman Pass over Memorial Day weekend will have to wait a while longer.
John Gleason, spokesman for the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT), said the department needs “to make sure these scenic routes are convenient, easily accessible, and safe before they are reopened.”
“But Alpine Loop in Utah County and Monte Cristo Hwy (SR-39) are opening just in time for this holiday weekend,” Gleason said.
Alpine Loop is scheduled to open Thursday and SR-39 will open on Friday.
Those two routes join three others which opened earlier this month — East Canyon near Salt Lake City, Cedar Breaks in Southern Utah and Wolf Creek Pass between Francis and Hanna — making for five available scenic drives.
Although these roads are open, Gleason said some could still have patches of snow or mud.
“Make sure you’re prepared to be out there,” he said. “Have a blanket and extra food and water just in case the worst happens.”
UDOT is also kicking off its 100 Deadliest Days this weekend. It’s the time period between Memorial Day and Labor Day which generally sees the highest amount of fatal crashes on Utah roads. So, Gleason is reminding everyone to buckle up and use common sense while driving.
Here’s a list of the seasonal roads which are open and closed:
S.R. 35 Wolf Creek Pass (Francis to Hanna)
S.R. 65 East Canyon (Northeast of Salt Lake City)
S.R. 148 Cedar Breaks (East of Cedar City, MP 0-19)
OPENING THIS WEEK:
S.R. 92 Alpine Loop
S.R. 39 Monte Cristo (East of Huntsville)
OPENING AFTER MEMORIAL DAY:
S.R. 150 Mirror Lake
S.R. 224/S.R. 190 Guardsman Pass
S.R. 153 Mt. Holly Junction Road
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Fake news: what it is, and how it can influence politics
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts
- Police announce new arrests in Murray mall shooting
- How does lake effect snow work? A primer
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27