UTAH — Those who usually travel Mirror Lake or Guardsman Pass over Memorial Day weekend will have to wait a while longer.
John Gleason, spokesman for the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT), said the department needs “to make sure these scenic routes are convenient, easily accessible, and safe before they are reopened.”
“But Alpine Loop in Utah County and Monte Cristo Hwy (SR-39) are opening just in time for this holiday weekend,” Gleason said.
Alpine Loop is scheduled to open Thursday and SR-39 will open on Friday.
Those two routes join three others which opened earlier this month — East Canyon near Salt Lake City, Cedar Breaks in Southern Utah and Wolf Creek Pass between Francis and Hanna — making for five available scenic drives.
Although these roads are open, Gleason said some could still have patches of snow or mud.
“Make sure you’re prepared to be out there,” he said. “Have a blanket and extra food and water just in case the worst happens.”
UDOT is also kicking off its 100 Deadliest Days this weekend. It’s the time period between Memorial Day and Labor Day which generally sees the highest amount of fatal crashes on Utah roads. So, Gleason is reminding everyone to buckle up and use common sense while driving.
Here’s a list of the seasonal roads which are open and closed:
S.R. 35 Wolf Creek Pass (Francis to Hanna)
S.R. 65 East Canyon (Northeast of Salt Lake City)
S.R. 148 Cedar Breaks (East of Cedar City, MP 0-19)
OPENING THIS WEEK:
S.R. 92 Alpine Loop
S.R. 39 Monte Cristo (East of Huntsville)
OPENING AFTER MEMORIAL DAY:
S.R. 150 Mirror Lake
S.R. 224/S.R. 190 Guardsman Pass
S.R. 153 Mt. Holly Junction Road
Today’s Top Stories
- Police trying to pinpoint driver in deadly crash that killed 16-year-old girl
- Big earthquakes raise interest in West Coast warning system
- Mary Livingston – Desert Hills Middle School
- Utah flag could get redesign under legislative proposal
- Intimate Partner Violence numbers in Utah
- Church issues clarifying statement on the Word of Wisdom
- Wuhan (finally) bans wild animals at wet markets
- Alpine, Davis school districts ramp up support for social and emotional learning
- Major flooding in Hanksville near Capitol Reef National Park
- Boxer Rocky Lockridge, “Best Cry Ever” meme man, has died at the age of 60