SANDY, Utah — Police are looking for a suspect in a fatal shooting Friday morning that resulted in the death of a 17-year-old. It happened near 1100 East, Saphire Drive.
Fred Jayne, who lives nearby, heard the shots. “It was just like somebody banging on a lid,” said Jayne, who said it did not sound like a larger caliber gun. Jayne said neighbors rushed to the boys aid and administered CPR until paramedics arrives. Police said the boy eventually died at the hospital from multiple gunshot wounds.
Jayne said he has seen the victim and his brother skateboarding in the neighborhood, but didn’t know their names. “I’ve never seen any problems there at all,” Jayne said of the house.
Several home surveillance cameras captured images of what police believe is the suspect’s vehicle. It’s an older green Ford Explorer, with gold trim. They’re asking anyone who may have seen the vehicle, to call the police.
Officers say they don’t believe there is any concern for nearby resident safety.
— Sandy Police (@Sandy_Police) May 22, 2020
Saphire Drive will be closed for the next several hours.
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Former missionary finds hope after becoming an addict
- Volunteers ready to glean extra fruit around Cache Valley
- Proposed bill would make gun owners civilly liable if a gun they lend out is used in a crime
- Elizabeth Smart reveals details of assault, and what she’s doing about it
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert moved to tears by All-Star snub
- Kaysville police, US Marshals arrest man accused of impersonating officer
- Pro-Hong Kong signs were confiscated at the Washington Wizards game
- UDOT employees survive avalanche in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park