SANDY, Utah — Police are looking for a suspect in a fatal shooting Friday morning that resulted in the death of a 17-year-old. It happened near 1100 East, Saphire Drive.
Fred Jayne, who lives nearby, heard the shots. “It was just like somebody banging on a lid,” said Jayne, who said it did not sound like a larger caliber gun. Jayne said neighbors rushed to the boys aid and administered CPR until paramedics arrives. Police said the boy eventually died at the hospital from multiple gunshot wounds.
Jayne said he has seen the victim and his brother skateboarding in the neighborhood, but didn’t know their names. “I’ve never seen any problems there at all,” Jayne said of the house.
Several home surveillance cameras captured images of what police believe is the suspect’s vehicle. It’s an older green Ford Explorer, with gold trim. They’re asking anyone who may have seen the vehicle, to call the police.
Officers say they don’t believe there is any concern for nearby resident safety.
— Sandy Police (@Sandy_Police) May 22, 2020
Saphire Drive will be closed for the next several hours.
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Getting Pulled Over is the Worst but Here’s How You Can Make Sure You Have a Safe…
- Latest E. coli outbreak spreads to Utah
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Teens are binge drinking more than ever
- Scientists say vodka from Chernobyl’s exclusion zone is safe to drink
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason
- UPDATED: Six-year-old girl dies on golf course after being hit by dad’s golf ball
- State leaders express disapproval over crowds welcoming missionaries
- Bill would create firearm safety pilot program in Utah schools