SANDY, Utah — Police are looking for a suspect in a fatal shooting Friday morning that resulted in the death of a 17-year-old. It happened near 1100 East, Saphire Drive.
Fred Jayne, who lives nearby, heard the shots. “It was just like somebody banging on a lid,” said Jayne, who said it did not sound like a larger caliber gun. Jayne said neighbors rushed to the boys aid and administered CPR until paramedics arrives. Police said the boy eventually died at the hospital from multiple gunshot wounds.
Jayne said he has seen the victim and his brother skateboarding in the neighborhood, but didn’t know their names. “I’ve never seen any problems there at all,” Jayne said of the house.
Several home surveillance cameras captured images of what police believe is the suspect’s vehicle. It’s an older green Ford Explorer, with gold trim. They’re asking anyone who may have seen the vehicle, to call the police.
Officers say they don’t believe there is any concern for nearby resident safety.
— Sandy Police (@Sandy_Police) May 22, 2020
Saphire Drive will be closed for the next several hours.
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Ellen Sabo – Rose Creek Elementary
- Tornado forms at Strawberry Reservoir
- ‘Far Side’ cartoonist Gary Larson publishes first new work in 25 years
- Kaysville mayor announce Congressional run to replace Bishop
- Lynda Davis – Morningside Elementary
- Long-time power plant to close in Magna
- Advocates: there are still resources for homeless women, despite full centers
- BYU research looks at what makes freeways safe
- Two missing teens from Taylorsville last seen in SLC
- Utah Poison Control Center says they need a funding bump to continue