Share this story...
Police: Woman killed after meeting a man on a Tinder date
Latest News

Police: Man turns himself in after killing Tinder date

Picture of 25-year-old Ashlyn Black of Layton who was murdered after going on a Tinder date

LAYTON — A man is in custody after turning himself in for killing a woman after a Tinder date, the Layton Police Department confirmed Sunday. Ethan Hunsaker, 24, called the police around 3 a.m. Sunday and said he had just killed someone, according to the probable cause statement. 

Authorities identified the victim as Ashlyn Black of Layton on Monday. Black was 25-years-old. 

During the initial call, Hunsaker said he “did not know” the person he just killed — but reported he did it 10 minutes before making the call. 

Officers responded to Hunsaker’s residence where the incident occurred. Hunsaker told the officers he had weapons but was unarmed at the scene. 

When they arrived, the officers made contact with Hunsaker just inside his residence. Police say Hunsaker repeatedly asked the officers to shoot him. 

Layton Police then took him into custody.

Officers found the victim, a woman named Ashlyn (Hunsaker said he didn’t know her last name), in a bedroom with several stab wounds. Responding officers began performing CPR but pronounced her dead on the scene. 

After being taken into custody, Hunsaker described how he met the victim. The two met on the social dating app Tinder, and they planned to meet for drinks at a local bar. Both Hunsaker and the woman paid for their own drinks. 

The two went to Hunsaker’s residence, where they fell asleep. Hunsaker woke up with the woman resting on his arm — then he began to choke her. 

Black attempted to fight back resulting in marks on Hunsaker’s arms, neck and shoulders. 

Hunsaker admitted to officers he had killed the woman by choking her “as hard as he could for about one minute,” according to the police’s probable cause statement. After that, he went downstairs to retrieve a knife from the kitchen and began stabbing her. 

Police report Hunsaker admitted to stabbing her “more than five times, but no more than 10 times,” according to the statement. 

Police said they are investigating a motive, although the attack seems to have been unprovoked. According to the statement, the date was normal and there was no argument that would cause him to want to kill her. 

According to police, Hunsaker had been previously diagnosed with several mental illnesses. 

Hunsaker will be booked with felony charges with no pay bail available — police say this is intended for the safety of the public. 


See original report below: 

Police said a woman was stabbed multiple times by a man she had just met on a Tinder date — after which, the man turned himself in.

In a statement, Layton police said the suspect called them at 3:19 a.m. Sunday and told them he had just killed someone.  Officers responded to his home near 1300 Reid Avenue where they say they found the victim on the floor, with stab wounds to the torso. 

“Despite efforts to revive the victim, she was pronounced deceased on scene,” the statement said. 

Police said the suspect, 24-year-old Ethan Hunsaker, told them he had met the woman on Tinder late Saturday night.  Police said they are investigating a motive, but the attack appeared to be unprovoked. 

Hunsaker was booked into the Davis County jail for investigation of murder.  

Police are asking anyone who may have information in the case to contact them at (801) 497-8300. 

This is a developing story. Details will be updated as they become available. 


Similar articles:

Police: Suspect who pulled gun on officer arrested after barricading in Magna home

Police searching for suspect after fatal shooting of Sandy teen

Father, son charged with killing black man Ahmaud Arbery