UINTAH COUNTY, Utah — A 52-year-old man was rescued and transported to a Colorado hospital after falling from a cliff face in Uintah County and striking his head.
A group was camping nearby at the Jones Hole National Fish Hatchery when they heard a man calling for help, according to a news release from the Uintah County Sheriff’s Office. The group called dispatch to report the incident around 1:40 p.m.
That’s when the five-hour rescue operation began.
One member of the camping group is a member of the Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office search and rescue team — but said the call’s echoes bouncing off the canyon walls made the man’s location “impossible to pinpoint,” according to the news release.
The Uintah County search and rescue team responded with help from the Utah Department of Public Safety and Classic Air Medical helicopter crews.
The Classic Air Medical team located the man, but couldn’t reach him right away because of the steep terrain.
The DPS was able to reach the man and “hoist him off the cliff,” the release reports.
Uintah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Dustin Cheshire said the man was climbing in an “out of the way” area where “you wouldn’t really expect someone to be.”
“If it hadn’t been for the camping group with a Wasatch County search and rescue member who heard this guy yelling and screaming,” Cheshire said. “It’s unlikely anyone would have found him.”
The man was flown to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Grand Junction, Colorado.
Today’s Top Stories
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Evacuations force California man to cancel SLC trip
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- Knolls Fire Update: Evacuation order lifted but still possible, only 25% contained
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason
- Tulsi Gabbard files lawsuit against Hillary Clinton for defamation
- Utah agriculture and food: cook any seeds you receive from China
- NFL wades back into controversy with new Super Bowl police shooting ad
- F-35 Demonstration Team to hold behind-the-scenes performance Friday
- Oklahoma lawmaker proposes ‘Bigfoot’ hunting season