LAYTON, Utah — After police say a Utah man admitted to choking and stabbing to death a woman he met on a Tinder date, the victim’s family has issued a statement.
“Our hearts are broken and our lives are forever changed due to the despicable acts of another person. In just a few senseless and selfish minutes, a life of an amazing, fun-loving young woman was taken, one who had a passion for being the voice of those who could not speak out for themselves. And a gift for working with those who have special needs,” they wrote.
Layton police say Ethan Hunsaker called them to report killing 25-year-old Ashlyn Black. He says he did not know her, but just met her on the Tinder dating app.
A police statement says he called them early Sunday morning to say he choked then stabbed Black. The statement also says Hunsaker had diagnosed mental illnesses and had daily thoughts of suicide and homicide. He also apparently asked police to kill him when they arrived.
Officers took Hunsaker into custody and booked him into the Davis County Jail.
— KSL NewsRadio (@kslnewsradio) May 26, 2020
The family of 25-year-old Black has asked for privacy at this time and has set up a GoFundMe to help with funeral costs.
Concerns from a co-worker
One of Hunsaker’s former coworkers wonders if she could have been a victim. Autumn Daily told KSL TV that Hunsaker started bombarding her with text messages to meet up in the weeks before Black’s murder.
“I did get a weird vibe, and I think that’s what stopped me from ever going out with him,” Daily said. “This last month, it has been like every other day of him asking me to make plans or do something.”
Daily said she politely declined the invitations or just did not respond to his messages.
“For a while, it was every day. It was overbearing,” she said. “He just can’t take no for an answer.”
Daily says she’s heartbroken for the victim’s family, and can’t imagine what they’re going through.
Police are still trying to figure out a motive for the murder.
Today’s Top Stories
- Exclusive: Why Millennials and GenZers love going to the bank
- VOTE: What is the most popular candy in Utah?
- Recent record-setting rain makes August one of the wettest in SLC
- Utah Purple Heart recipient gifted brand new house
- ‘Scooby-Doo’ wasn’t just another cartoon. It was a reaction to the…
- Dan Jewel, Layton City Police Department
- The art of Joseph Smith’s First Vision
- Southern Utah University and Utah State University are the latest to join colleges reopening…
- OPINION: Is “snausea” completely made up?
- Family announces they’ll say goodbye to Dixie, a dog burned for revenge