SALT LAKE CITY — West Valley City Police have arrested a man for shooting and killing a construction worker on Thursday.
Jesus Valdez, 30, was booked into jail on a parole violation.
In a tweet, West Valley City police said Valdez was arrested at a home near Indiana Avenue and Redwood Road.
Police spokeswoman Roxane Vainuku says the victim and those living nearby the construction site had a tumultuous relationship. She says there had been complaints about noise from the construction work.
According to KSL.com, a homeowner called police Thursday afternoon reporting a construction worker was injured. Vainuku says that for a time, it was unclear what had happened to the victim.
Investigators developed information about the suspect’s location and today, just before noon, arrested the suspect at a home near 1700 W Indiana Ave. the suspect’s name will be released upon booking. The victim’s name will be released upon proper notification.
— WVC Police (@WVCPD) May 29, 2020
Police say they thought he might have injured himself with construction equipment. But after an investigation, they learned the victim had been shot.
An investigation continues.
Today’s Top Stories
- Changes to the HOV lanes for hybrid vehicles in Utah, starting today
- Disney World’s July 11 reopening: 6 things to watch
- Utah’s Tyler Huntley could return before upcoming bowl game
- Salt Lake County urges people to find new ways to visit elderly loved ones
- History and renovations of Salt Lake Temple and other temples
- Utah lawmakers push back on ‘America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act’
- BYU review of 115 studies shows masks effective in slowing COVID-19
- Early morning fire tears through SLC apartment complex
- Bacon App creating a sizzle in gig economy
- Wendy’s breakfast is starting to roll out