SCOTTSDALE, AZ — The Scottsdale Arizona Police Department has charged social media influencer and YouTuber Jake Paul with criminal trespassing and unlawful assembly. They say the charges come after receiving hundreds of tips and videos from the public showing he was present during the looting of a mall.
We’ve received 100s of tips in response to the events at @ScottsdaleFS. In our continued investigation it was confirmed that Jake Paul was in attendance & remained inside after an unlawful assembly was declared & has been charged with Criminal Trespass & Unlawful Assembly. pic.twitter.com/ySPmZT7ADv
— ScottsdalePD (@ScottsdalePD) June 4, 2020
The 23-year-old YouTube star who has over 20 million subscribers on the video-sharing platform says he was there to be a part of the “ground-floor of change” and to document what was happening.
In a video posted to YouTube, Paul says that as he was trying to leave the protests after seeing a nearby Apple store looted. Paul says police used tear gas to clear those around the Apple store and while he was on the way back to his car he passed the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall.
“In hindsight, we shouldn’t have been anywhere near what was going on and should have removed ourselves from the situation. But in the heat of the moment, I wanted to document what was going on and witness it for myself, and that’s where I made the poor decision to go inside the mall,” Paul said.
— Jake Paul (@jakepaul) May 31, 2020
While none of the videos posted to social media of Paul in the mall show him vandalizing or stealing anything, he has been charged with both criminal trespassing and unlawful assembly which are both misdemeanor charges for being “present after the protest was declared an unlawful assembly and the rioters were ordered to leave the area by police.”
Today’s Top Stories
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- US Capitol on lockdown as protesters storm the building
- Now’s your chance to pick up US postage stamps honoring military dogs
- UDOT: Southbound I-15 experiencing major delays due to crash
- A wrap-up of Utah election results — and the races we can’t call yet
- If you build it … White Sox and Yankees to play at ‘Field of Dreams’ movie…
- Cougar leaves mark on Herriman driveway
- Young, broke, or both? You’ll still want to file your taxes July 15th.
- Ogden cancels AMBER Alert, missing infant found safe