SALT LAKE CITY — The National Weather Service has issued a high wind advisory through much of the Wasatch front Saturday afternoon, lasting until roughly 6:15 p.m. Gusts of wind of up to 5o miles per hour are possible in areas of northern Utah.
*SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY* for portions of the Wasatch Front, Wasatch Back, and the northern Wasatch Mountains through 615 PM. Wind gusts up to 55 mph are possible. #utwx pic.twitter.com/Vq88wY2EWP
— NWS Salt Lake City (@NWSSaltLakeCity) June 6, 2020
The state has seen strong winds over the weekend, resulting in scattered power outages related to the storms in the northern part of Utah.
Roughly 1,900 people were without power Friday night, according to the Rocky Mountain Power website — knocking some of the power out of the South Jordan Health Center. The hospital reported its backup generators were functioning and everything was running normally.
Updated 3:15 pm We are aware of scattered outages throughout Northern UT due to storms. We are working to restore service to all affected customers as safely and as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience. For updates, visit https://t.co/5KJ7zd0MQ1 or text OUT to 759677.
— Rocky Mountain Power UT (@RMP_Utah) June 6, 2020
Several semi trucks were seen overturned on I-15 and I-80 late Friday as a result of strong winds. An empty semi was overturned, blocking both southbound lanes of I-15 at mile marker 232 in Juab County.
Another semi blew over at 6:40 p.m. Friday at mile marker 27 westbound on I-80 — with another semi and pickup truck pulling a trailer blowing over at mile marker 76 just seven minutes later.
Then, at at milepost 16 eastbound on I-80 a pickup and trailer were also seen rolled over.
A wind advisory was in effect during this time on Friday. No injuries have been reported.
This story is developing and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- How does Utah’s vaccination goal compare to Biden’s?
- Winter storm approaches Utah
- Portland protesters cause mayhem again, police officer hurt
- McDonald’s launches first new Chicken McNuggets flavor in nearly 40 years
- AP: Spencer Cox wins race for Utah governor
- Electric scooter catches fire in U of U building, relocates classes
- Getting the Call to Serve: 7 Easy and Fulfilling Ways to Get Your Future Missionary Prepared…
- BYU football preparing its offense for Northern Illinois
- Motivated workers kept airport terminal project relatively virus free
- Breanne Stump – Fox Hollow Elementary School