REXBURG, Idaho — The family of two missing Idaho children say it is their remains that were found on the property belonging to their stepfather, Chad Daybell.
In a statement, Larry and Kay Woodcock, the grandparents of JJ Vallow, and Colby Ryan, the brother of Tylee Ryan, confirmed the remains are those of the missing children.
“We are filled with unfathomable sadness that these two bright stars were stolen from us, and only hope that they died without pain or suffering,” the families wrote.
— Garna Mejia KSL (@GarnaMejiaKSL) June 10, 2020
JJ and Tylee were last seen in September in Rexburg, Idaho.
A first court appearance for Chad Daybell
Earlier in the day on Wednesday, a prosecutor in the case confirmed for the first time that two sets of human remains found on Chad Daybell’s property belonged to children. That acknowledgement came during a first court appearance for Daybell as the prosecutor argued for holding him on $1 million bail.
In setting bail, the judge also ordered that should Daybell post bail, he would be required to wear an ankle monitor, stay within a strict geographical radius of Fremont County, Idaho, and not contact the victim’s family.
Judge Faren Eddins also placed 9 requirements that #ChadDaybell must adhere to should he post the $1 million.
Those requirements included wearing an ankle monitor and not contacting the victims families. pic.twitter.com/mic3vFvSry
— Colby Walker (@walk_colb) June 10, 2020
Chad Daybell Court Hearing
Authorities took Chad Daybell into custody Tuesday after multiple agencies served a search warrant at his property in Salem, Idaho, a small town just north of Rexburg.
Human remains found at Daybell property
“Detectives and investigators have recovered what’s believed to be human remains that have not been identified at this time,” Assistant Rexburg Police Chief Gary Hagen told reporters at the time.
In a news release issued Wednesday morning, Hagen confirmed investigators found two sets of remains.
“After proper family notification, we would like to confirm at this time that investigators have discovered two sets of unidentified human remains. Autopsy results are pending,” Hagen wrote.
— KSL NewsRadio (@kslnewsradio) June 10, 2020
Charges filed shed more light on the accusations
The Madison County Prosecuting Attorney filed two felony counts of destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence against Chad Daybell on Wednesday. The charges allege that at the time of disappearance of both JJ Vallow and Tylee Ryan, Daybell did “willfully conceal and/or did aid and abet another to willfully conceal human remains.”
On charge one of the criminal complaint against Daybell, the prosecution asserts that on or between September 22, 2019, and June 9, 2020, he, “did willfully conceal and/or did aid and abet another to willfully conceal human remains, knowing that said human remains were about to be produced, used and/or discovered as evidence in felony proceeding, inquiry and/or investigation authorized by law, with the intent to prevent it from being so produced, used and/or discovered.”
On the second charge in that complaint, the prosecutors claim that on or between September 8, 2019, and June 9, 2020, Daybell “did willfully destroy, alter and/or conceal human remains, and/or did aid and abet another to willfully destroy, alter and/or conceal human remains.”
Wife also facing charges
Daybell’s wife, Lori Vallow, was arrested in February, after being found in contempt of court for failing to “physically produce” her adopted 7-year-old son Joshua “JJ” Vallow and 17-year-old Tylee Ryan. Her bail was initially set at $5 million, before being reduced to $1 million.
Vallow and Daybell married last fall, not long after both of their previous spouses died.
Daybell’s first wife, Tammy, died in October. Authorities originally said she died of natural causes, but later called it suspicious and had her body exhumed.
Vallow’s estranged husband Charles died in a fight with her brother that result in him being shot and killed. Her brother was never charged, and died in December.
- Chad Daybell arrested; Idaho authorities say they found human remains
- Lori Vallow Daybell’s bond reduces to $1 million in Idaho
- Mom of missing kids waives extradition; bail stays at $5M
- Step-father of missing Idaho kids speaks to ABC
- POLICE FOOTAGE Lori Vallow’s ex-husband worried about their missing children and his wife’s behavior
- FBI looking for help in case of missing Idaho kids
- Mom of 2 missing Idaho children arrested in Hawaii
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Sergeant Joe Cyr, Salt Lake City Police Department
- Police identify officer shot in Ogden Thursday
- Want to buy a dinosaur? One of the world’s biggest T. rex skeletons is up for sale
- Tsunami threat issued after powerful quake hits between Cuba and Jamaica
- Someone painted “racist” on Brigham Young statue at BYU