SALT LAKE CITY– On Friday the Utah Department of Health (UDOH) reported the largest COVID-19 daily increase since the beginning of the global pandemic, confirming 586 new positive cases.
Friday’s coronavirus numbers surpass June 6, when the state reported 546 new cases. UDOH also reported three additional deaths, bringing the total number of deaths to 155. To date, Utah has confirmed a total of 16,425 cases as well as 1,145 hospitalizations. Coronavirus cases that are considered to be “recovered” now number 9,113
The three individuals who died from the virus were all male. Two of the men were from Salt Lake County, while the third man was from Wasatch County. Two were between the ages of 65-84. One was over the age of 85.
One of the Salt Lake County men resided in a long-term care facility, the other was hospitalized when he died. The man from Wasatch County was also hospitalized when he died.
The report that Utah has seen it’s highest one-day total of new COVID-19 cases comes on the same day that nine rural Utah counties were allowed to transition from a “yellow” to “green” COVID-19 risk level. Utah Gov. Gary Herbert issued an executive order announcing the change on Thursday.
The switch was effective Friday, June 19, at 1 p.m.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Ellen Sabo – Rose Creek Elementary
- Grant Averill – Woods Cross Elementary School
- Utah relinquishes oversight of trust linked to polygamist
- The alternative presidential candidate: Jo Jorgensen runs for the Libertarian Party
- Amazon: Nearly 20,000 workers tested positive for COVID-19
- Meet all the Utah athletes competing in the Tokyo Olympics