SOUTH SALT LAKE – South Salt Lake Fire Chief Terry Addison told the city council recently that first responders have gone out on at least three calls to places like long-term care facilities during the pandemic where they were not told the patient had COVID-19.
That could be an issue for any department, but particularly a small one.
“One person gets it, and then you infect two, who infects two more, and it doubles each time. Pretty soon, your public safety departments would be ineffective,” Addison said.
Last week, the city council voted on a new ordinance that makes it a Class B Misdemeanor not to let dispatch and first responders know if you, or the person you are calling about, has COVID-19 or any communicable disease that is an immediate threat to public health or safety.
Chief Addison said first responders also need to know that information so they can bring along the right amount of personal protective equipment.
“That way we know we protect ourselves right when we walk through the door. Because who knows how many people in that facility could be exposed? We’re protecting the response, who in turn, will help slow the spread,” Addison said.
Councilmember Shane Siwik was one of two “no” votes. He felt the ordinance was too broad.
“We are making it a crime for, let’s say, a life partner…taking care of somebody with AIDS to not report that,” Siwik said.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Courage Reins
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Pres. Trump escalates war on Twitter, social media protections
- Grandfather of suspect in the death of little girl says he is a troubled family member
- African Gray parrot still missing – Bluffdale owners offer reward