OAK CITY, Utah — Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox announced the Canal Fire burning in Millard County has escaped its containment due to strong winds, forcing officials to evacuate Fool Creek and Leamington.
Unfortunately we have bad news on the Canal Fire in Millard County near Oak City. Because of strong winds the fire has escaped containment and is threatening structures. Fool Creek and Leamington are being evacuated.
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) June 28, 2020
Late Saturday, officials said they considered the Canal Fire 100% contained. But winds whipped up overnight Saturday and into Sunday, spreading the flames outside of the containment area.
According to state fire managers, the Canal Fire was about 450 acres as of Saturday night. It was burning near Oak City, northwest of Scipio and east of Delta in Millard County.
This story will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL Greenhouse Show continues Dig Around Town Community Calendar
- OPINION: A concealed carry permit just saved a young girl’s life
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will close Missionary Training Center in Guatemala
- Armed protestors march to state capitol, no violence reported
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Sen. Romney calls for vote on bill to prevent mass layoffs for airline workers
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- Managing fear of coronavirus
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map