PROVO, Utah- A chemical fire at the BYU Clyde Engineering Building has caused some damage. Lt. Rich Christensen of the BYU Police Department said they received reports of a gas leak early Wednesday evening.
The gas combined with magnesium chloride inside a lab and caused an explosion, which inevitably caused the fire to follow. The chemical fire is contained in one lab on BYU’s campus.
One male student was decontaminated and then transported with some chemical injuries to Utah Valley Hospital.
At this time there appears to be no residual gas within the building. Responders are on scene containing the fire.
This story is developing and will be updated when more information is available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Anti-vaccination signs over freeway deemed a distraction, taken down
- Provo PD seeing many cars with illegal black license plates
- Virgin River tests positive for cyanobacteria that produces toxins
- 18-year-old dead following fatal crash on Mountain View Corridor
- Prosecutors warn parents about online safety after more than 100 predators arrested within…
- Hill Cumorah Pageant final season canceled; Nauvoo Pageant postponed
- Russia, China both continue to pose threat, expert says
- Utah Jazz win, promote two players for big awards
- Florida vacation home invaded by vomiting vultures
- Review: Was “Frozen 2” a good sequel or even a good movie?