PROVO, Utah- A chemical fire at the BYU Clyde Engineering Building has caused some damage. Lt. Rich Christensen of the BYU Police Department said they received reports of a gas leak early Wednesday evening.
The gas combined with magnesium chloride inside a lab and caused an explosion, which inevitably caused the fire to follow. The chemical fire is contained in one lab on BYU’s campus.
One male student was decontaminated and then transported with some chemical injuries to Utah Valley Hospital.
At this time there appears to be no residual gas within the building. Responders are on scene containing the fire.
This story is developing and will be updated when more information is available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Drug addiction pushes Utah man to the edge of suicide
- Intimate Partner Violence numbers in Utah
- Mary Livingston – Desert Hills Middle School
- Utah flag could get redesign under legislative proposal
- Wuhan (finally) bans wild animals at wet markets
- Church issues clarifying statement on the Word of Wisdom
- Alpine, Davis school districts ramp up support for social and emotional learning
- Big earthquakes raise interest in West Coast warning system
- Police trying to pinpoint driver in deadly crash that killed 16-year-old girl
- Major flooding in Hanksville near Capitol Reef National Park