LOGAN, Utah – The Cache County Council has declared Sunday as a day of prayer to ask for God’s help during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Councilwoman Gina Worthen believes the pandemic has been devastating for the community, even though Cache County has had a low number of COVID-19 deaths.
“Cache has had five suicides, which still at this point outnumber the number of COVID deaths that we’ve had. [There are] increases in abuse, loneliness, a lot of suffering going on and a lot of fear,” Worthen said during a council meeting this week.
But there are still concerns about COVID-19 in the community.
“We’re worried about overcrowding hospitals, and we felt that we need God’s help. Now would be a good time to ask him for that.
Although the Cache day of prayer proclamation mentions God several times, Councilwoman Worthen invited everyone in the community to participate.
“There are many good people in our county who believe in a higher power but maybe not specifically in God. I would hope that they would join with us in sending good thoughts and positive vibes our way as well,” Worthen said.
The day of prayer proclamation is co-sponsored by several mayors and city council members in the area, including Lewiston Mayor Kelly Field, Hyde Park Mayor Sharidean Flint, and Clarkston Mayor Craig Hidalgo, as well as many Logan City Council members.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- New details about Lake Powell boat crash
- Toni Morrison, ‘Beloved’ author and Nobel laureate, dies at 88
- Chris Christie in hospital as precaution after positive Covid-19 test
- What is coronavirus and Covid-19? An explainer
- Audit: Utah oil, gas division lacks environmental oversight
- Residents divided on proposed Parley’s project
- Utah homeschooling is on the rise. What does that say about education in Utah?
- ER doctor: Masks that don’t cover the nose more likely to spread COVID-19
- Police identify woman found dead at Midvale Motel 6
- Project Recovery: Casey Scott and Dr. Matt answer your questions