PROVIDENCE, Utah — The Cache County Sheriff’s Department says a man shot and killed his ex-wife before taking his own life in what appears to be a murder-suicide.
In a statement, Sheriff Chad Jensen said someone called dispatchers around 11:45 p.m. to report he was on the phone with the woman when he heard her scream “no,” followed by what sounded like gunshots.
Deputies responded to her apartment complex, and found the 38-year-old woman dead. They did not immediately release her name.
According to Jensen, at least one other witness reported hearing gunshots and a vehicle leaving the area.
Ex-husband suspected in Cache County murder-suicide
Jensen said Utah Highway Patrol and Logan City Police officers helped secure the scene. He said investigators identified the woman’s ex-husband as the suspect.
“Investigators were able to identify different locations the suspect may have fled to, and with the assistance of a SWAT tactical team and crisis negotiators, they were able to pinpoint the home where our suspect was located,” Jensen said in the statement.
The SWAT team used a robot to determine the suspect was dead, Jensen said.
“This is still an ongoing investigation and no additional information will be available until the investigation is complete,” Jensen said. “The victim and suspects [sic] names will not be released at this time giving the family time to make notifications.”
Jensen said Cache County victims’ advocates were on site Saturday to help family members.
- Utah County seeing spikes in mental health, domestic violence calls
- Susan Powell continues to help domestic violence victims, ten years later
- Advocates encouraged about recent domestic violence numbers in Utah, first drop in fatalities in over a decade
- Surviving domestic violence during a pandemic
Domestic violence resources
- Utah Domestic Violence Coalition operates a confidential statewide, 24-hour domestic abuse hotline at 1-800-897-LINK (5465). Resources are also available online at udvc.org.
Help for people in abusive relationships can also be found by contacting:
Today’s Top Stories
- Man in his 30s dead after drowning in a hot tub
- Treatment center, Turn-About Ranch, responds with statement
- Gamer Grandma: Meet 90-year-old Hamako Mori, the world’s oldest gamer on YouTube
- Police searching for man accused of stealing ducklings from ponds
- Heart of Utah: Two Navy doctors from Utah describe pandemic service
- Coyote sighting reported at the University of Utah campus
- Utah parents want vape tax
- Lynda Carter offers wonderful performance at FanX
- Lee parts ways with President over who killed Saudi journalist
- Sen. Mike Lee: Trump is not guilty