MORGAN COUNTY, Utah — A plane crashed in Morgan county Sunday morning. The pilot was transported to the University of Utah with non-life-threatening injuries after crashing the small airplane near 6455 South Highway 66. The male pilot sustained some injuries, including a head laceration.
The Morgan Fire emergency responders were dispatched to the scene around 11:05 a.m. Fire crews initially sent one engine, two brush trucks and an ambulance to the scene.
While on route, a bystander reported the pilot had a “severe head injury,” causing crews to call in a medical helicopter to the scene. However, upon arriving to the crash, emergency medical responders reported he did not have life-threatening injuries and cancelled the helicopter.
The pilot reports his plane lost power while en route, so he circled East Canyon Reservoir several times before attempting an emergency crash landing on State Route 66. The right wing of his plane hit the side of the road, sending the pilot into the roadside bank right next to the highway.
Deputies discovered a small fuel leak when they arrived on scene, which was quickly mitigated — avoiding a fire. The Utah Highway Patrol dispatched a tow truck to retrieve the small aircraft.
Meanwhile, the male pilot was sent by ground to the University of Utah. The pilot’s identifying information was not immediately released.
Highway traffic was lightly impacted, with clearings on the road by about 4 p.m.
The Federal Aviation Administration was notified of the crash and will conduct an investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- All Utah 24 Hour Fitness locations to close, customers transferred to VASA
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- 100-year-old ‘Candy Bomber’ tests positive for COVID-19
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- Bill Nye sets the world on fire — to make a point about climate change