WEST VALLEY CITY — The Consulate of Mexico in Salt Lake City along with the University of Utah Wellness Bus, Victor’s Event Center and the Utah Department of Health to offer free COVID-19 testing in West Valley on Friday.
The free testing will begin at 9 a.m and finish at 1 p.m. on Friday at the Victor’s Event Center in West Valley City and officials with the consulate say they’ll test everyone, regardless of if someone is exhibiting symptoms.
Jose Borjón from the Mexican Consulate said while everyone is welcome, their focus is on immigrant and minority populations in the area.
“Many immigrants have less access to medical care and coronavirus cases are spiking with them.”
“Language barriers and cultural norms play a part in the spread of COVID-19,” said Borjón, “But the lack of health care is really what’s contributing to the high cases right now.”
That’s why The Consulate of Mexico is helping to sponsor this event. It will be ‘Drive-up’ style as people in the cars will wait in lines to be tested by medical staff from the University of Utah Wellness Bus.
The Consulate highly encouraged people to make an appointment as the bus will leave just after 1 p.m. due to other commitments. They say the number to call is 801-587-7012, option #3 or 801-436-7118 (bilingual) to schedule a time on Friday, July 31st, 2020.
“Anyone left waiting in line will be out of luck,” said Borjón.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah’s number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Sergeant Joe Cyr, Salt Lake City Police Department
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Utah man charged for alleged involvement in violent U.S. Capitol rally
- Tooele School District employees will repay $10K for travel
- Jazz fan gets “coolest injury ever” after Donovan Mitchell flies into third row
- Tsunami threat issued after powerful quake hits between Cuba and Jamaica