WEST JORDAN, Utah – 72-year-old Mary Quintana was sitting outside on her deck on Saturday when a 1975 Piper PA-32 plane crashed into her house. She was severely burned in the accident.
On Monday, Quintana’s family confirmed that she had passed away.
They also asked the public not to donate to a Go Fund Me that had been set up to help them, or to start one. They told KSL that her son could lose his disability benefits if he receives any donations.
An update posted to the existing Go Fund Me read, “Please hold all new contributions for this cause. We will have an update soon on what direction the family will want to go.”
The Investigation Continues
The National Transportation Safety Board has taken over the investigation.
The NTSB says the wreckage is being moved to Arizona, and their team will not be flying out to personally view it due to COVID-19.
Teams from the Federal Aviation Administration and Piper Aircraft have taken several photos of the crash site, while the NTSB is looking at what happened before the crash.
The pilot of the plane has also been identified as 43-year-old Lee Wyckoff, Utah’s former Inspector General, who had gotten his Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) certification just 10 days ago. That means he was qualified to fly in all kinds of weather.
However, it’s unclear what caused the crash, as witnesses saw the plane struggling from takeoff to just before it crashed into the house.
Wyckoff was killed in the accident, as was his 9-month-old daughter Coral and 36-year-old attorney Milda Shibonis. Wyckoff’s wife Rebecca and 2-year-old son Cody Mitchell are in critical condition.
Shibonis’s 12-year-old daughter Veda walked away from the wreck unharmed.
Lee Wyckoff 43, Deceased (pilot)
Rebecca Wyckoff 36, Critical condition
Coral Wyckoff, 9 months. Deceased
Cody Mitchell, 2 Critical burns on legs and arms. Milda Shibonis, age 36 Deceased Veda Sheperd, age 12 (walked away from crash) At residence, Mary Quintana, 72 Critical
— West Jordan Police Dept. (@WJPD_PIO) July 26, 2020
Today’s Top Stories
- Stacey Marshall – Jordan Ridge Elementary
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- Courage Reins
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Epidemiologist urges more COVID-19 testing; Utah receives rapid test kits