SPANISH FORK, Utah- A car crash in Spanish Fork Canyon has forced U.S. Route 6 to close in both directions. The five-car buildup, involving a semi-truck, happened Tuesday evening two miles west of Sheep Creek in Spanish Fork Canyon.
Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) confirmed one fatality, one person in critical condition, and five people in serious condition. Life Flights were called to the scene to assist those in critical condition.
In a statement by UHP, the details of the crash are revealed:
A double tanker semi was westbound on SR-6 and either slowed or stopped completely in the single westbound lane. A westbound Dodge pickup behind the semi failed to stop and struck the left rear corner of the second trailer.
The pickup rotated into one of the two eastbound lanes, and an eastbound Yukon struck it almost directly on the driver door. The back end of the Yukon swung into the second eastbound lane and was struck by an eastbound Ford Fusion. The driver of the Dodge was killed on impact.
The driver of the Yukon was taken by air to a local area hospital with critical injuries. The driver of the semi was also taken by air to a local area hospital with critical injuries. The driver of the Ford was taken by ground to a local area hospital with serious injuries.
UHP reported U.S. Route 6 will be closed for some time for crews to work and assess the scene; it is undetermined how long it will take before the route will be open to traffic.
Eastbound traffic is being diverted to SR 89 and crews are working on a solution to divert westbound traffic.
This story will be updated when more information becomes available.
Today’s Top Stories
- Former missionary finds hope after becoming an addict
- Emergency crews train for large-scale attack
- Bodies of man and his slave unearthed from ashes at Pompeii
- DC Police report 68 arrests made
- Utah mother tells her story of coping after losing a daughter to a fentanyl overdose
- Rescuers say infant CPR saved one year-old baby
- Landslide at Myanmar jade mine kills at least 162 people
- House Democrat says Mueller, Judiciary Committee reach deal for special counsel to testify on May 15
- Washington County Search and Rescue report 5 incidents Sunday, including 1 death
- My Minute of News: C’mon, get happy with Utah, the happiest state