ROSE CANYON, Utah– Unified Police officers and a SWAT unit descended on a Rose Canyon neighborhood after reports three men were shooting at a neighboring house.
Det. Ken Hanson, with Unified Police Department, confirmed three men barricaded themselves after shots were fired at a home near 143rd South Shaggy Mountain Road Wednesday evening.
Hanson said the home is a short-term rental and the men were from Idaho and in Salt Lake County on business. He said the men had been drinking and decided it would be a good idea to go outside and fire a handgun at the neighboring home.
Numerous rounds were fired and a shelter-in-place order was activated. Airbnb confirms the house is listed through on the website but says their platform was not used to book the rental.
The SWAT team and an armored vehicle responded after the men barricaded inside the rental home. After several hours, the SWAT officers used flash bangs to get the attention of the suspects, who eventually complied with commands given over a megaphone, Hanson said.
Luckily, no one was injured. Officers are still accessing the property damage and what charges might be filed.
Today’s Top Stories
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- All Utah 24 Hour Fitness locations to close, customers transferred to VASA
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- Bill Nye sets the world on fire — to make a point about climate change
- Ski resorts in northern Utah shutting down due to heavy snow, avalanche danger