ROSE CANYON, Utah– Unified Police officers and a SWAT unit descended on a Rose Canyon neighborhood after reports three men were shooting at a neighboring house.
Det. Ken Hanson, with Unified Police Department, confirmed three men barricaded themselves after shots were fired at a home near 143rd South Shaggy Mountain Road Wednesday evening.
Hanson said the home is a short-term rental and the men were from Idaho and in Salt Lake County on business. He said the men had been drinking and decided it would be a good idea to go outside and fire a handgun at the neighboring home.
Numerous rounds were fired and a shelter-in-place order was activated. Airbnb confirms the house is listed through on the website but says their platform was not used to book the rental.
The SWAT team and an armored vehicle responded after the men barricaded inside the rental home. After several hours, the SWAT officers used flash bangs to get the attention of the suspects, who eventually complied with commands given over a megaphone, Hanson said.
Luckily, no one was injured. Officers are still accessing the property damage and what charges might be filed.
Today’s Top Stories
- Ellen Sabo – Rose Creek Elementary
- Tornado forms at Strawberry Reservoir
- Two missing teens from Taylorsville last seen in SLC
- Advocates: there are still resources for homeless women, despite full centers
- BYU research looks at what makes freeways safe
- Utah Poison Control Center says they need a funding bump to continue
- Mayor suspends officers involved in man’s suffocation death
- Indoor vs. outside dining: Which restaurant tables are safer?
- Meet all the Utah athletes competing in the Tokyo Olympics
- Sen. Romney seen marching at DC protests against George Floyd’s death