(CNN) — As coronavirus continues to spread across the United States, companies are coming to terms with a future of work that doesn’t look anything like it did before — and many are revisiting their plans to go back to the office.
Some employees won’t return to their offices until at least 2021, while others might not ever see their office again.
Twitter got the ball rolling in mid-May when it announced that some of its employees could permanently work from home. And just last week, Google announced that its employees will work from home until 2021.
“I hope this will offer the flexibility you need to balance work with taking care of yourselves and your loved ones over the next 12 months,” Google CEO Sundar Pichai wrote in a memo to employees, a copy of which was obtained by CNN Business.
These decisions are coming at a time when childcare, education and safety concerns continue to grow.
With school and daycare shutdowns, women are getting hit hardest by the pandemic recession, according to the IMF, and some companies are shifting in an effort to recognize that.
What is clear is that offices won’t look the same for employees that are currently working from home but plan on returning in 2021.
These companies announced that employees won’t be going back to the office until at least 2021:
- Universal Music Group
- Warner Music Group
- Sony Music
- Amazon corporate
- RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland)
- Group Nine Media
These companies told their employees that they don’t ever have to come back to the office:
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Jason Ruch, Saratoga Springs PD
- Sergeant Dusty Butler, Emery County Sheriff’s Office
- Abe Yospe – Westland Elementary
- Romance scam uses military photos to fool widow
- Helicopter pilot killed in Afghanistan to be laid to rest in Utah
- Breanne Stump – Fox Hollow Elementary School
- Chelsea Manning jailed for refusing to testify on Wikileaks
- Former USU student sues piano professor for sexual assault
- Officer Preston Casey, Centerville
- Chad Hayman, Tremonton Police Department