BEAVER COUNTY, UT — Firefighters are dealing with two lightning-caused fires in Beaver County.
The Baboon Fire is burning near Minersville and at the time of publication had burned 300 acres. It was at 0% containment late Sunday afternoon.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) August 23, 2020
The Baboon Fire is south of Minersville, and it is being fed by dry brush and juniper.
The second, much larger fire, is burning southeast of Minersville. The Greenville Fire has scorched 1,800 acres near the Minersville Reservoir and Campground. According to Utah Fire Info, the Greenville Fire was also started by lightning.
A major road, state route 21, was closed for several hours on Saturday because of the wildfire. The road was reopened late Sunday morning.
For a time on Saturday, there was a concern for structures and trailers at the reservoir. Beaver County officials credit Minersville and Millford Fire crews for their hard work in keeping the flames at bay.
Today’s Top Stories
- Peace and conflict: Talking politics and navigating tension over the holidays
- Trump outstripping Obama on pace of executive orders
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound
- Need something last minute? Here’s what is open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Three arrests in connection with Sapphire Drive homicide in Sandy
- Layton police arrest two suspects in fatal shooting
- Lost athletic scholarship opportunities for some high school seniors
- Utah County to begin administering COVID-19 vaccines to non-hospital healthcare workers
- Biden adds Michigan to win total, delivering blow to Sanders