KEARNS — A fatal crash at 5600 West and 5830 South killed one woman and left two others hospitalized according to officials with the United Police Department.
UPD Sgt. Melody Gray said the officers had responded to Thomas Jefferson Jr. High School on a “keep the peace” call with a 26-year-old woman just after 8 p.m.
Gray said the woman got into her vehicle after the meeting and turned to go northbound on 5600 West.
“She did not see a southbound vehicle, and that southbound vehicle t-boned her,” Gray said.
The 37-year-old woman who was driving the southbound vehicle was killed in the crash. Officers extracted her at the scene and lifesaving procedures were attempted.
She has now been identified as Cecilia Ruby Chavez from Magna.
Her 14-year-old daughter was hospitalized and is in serious condition.
The 26-year-old woman was taken to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition.
The accident closed down 5600 West in both directions while police investigated.
Both Directions 5600 W at 5800 S, Salt Lake Co.
NB Lanes Closed
Est. Clearance Time: 9:30 PM
For updates: https://t.co/jaVMw7vcLm
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) August 29, 2020
Today’s Top Stories
- Millcreek and Salt Lake cities find agreement on new boundaries
- LSU QB Joe Burrow wins Heisman Trophy in landslide vote
- As bitcoin surges, prominent cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase aims to go public
- Earthquake damage shuts down Magna fire station
- Ogden man arrested for attempted murder, kidnapping
- President Trump says he wants background check laws, also reassures NRA
- Utah Jazz plane bird strike was especially bad according to officials
- Accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein has died by suicide, sources say
- Utah, BYU extend home-and-home football series through 2024
- Police investigating two unsolved shootings in Utah