SALT LAKE CITY — The National Weather Service in Salt Lake City has issued a High Wind Warning for areas in northern Utah along the Wasatch Front and other parts of Utah due to an arctic storm system that will be hitting the state tonight into Tuesday.
What to expect
The National Weather Service said that the arctic storm will bring strong downslope winds to parts of the Wasatch Front, Uinta Basin, and Castle Country.
Gusty winds are expected in western Utah and the canyons of Washington County.
Winds will reach up to 60 mph for the most part but in Farmington, Centerville, and northwestern Utah, winds are expected to reach 60-85 mph they said.
The strong winds from the winter storm system are expected to cause power outages and property damage.
They also said near blizzard conditions and snow accumulation is expected for the Uinta Mountains as well as for the Book Cliffs/Wasatch Plateau and southwest Wyoming.
Temperatures are expected to drop to around 30 degrees below the seasonal normals on Tuesday. The rapid cooling can result in frost they said.
How to prepare
The National Weather Service says that if you are in one of the impacted areas to secure lawn furniture so they don’t get blown away by the strong gusts that are expected.
Also, prepare for possible power outages that may occur overnight.
Additionally, if you are in one of the affected areas, be sure to protect sensitive vegetation.
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘I want a future’: Global youth protests urge climate action
- Big earthquakes raise interest in West Coast warning system
- What Options Do You Have If You Aren’t Comfortable with the Upcoming School Year? 5…
- Police trying to pinpoint driver in deadly crash that killed 16-year-old girl
- Planned execution of Native American man stirs emotion within tribe
- Fired U of U detective refutes claims made by school about her dismissal
- Uncle of missing five-year-old in Logan charged with murder, remains found
- In-depth: Black police officers talk race relations in Utah
- Large police presence near Rose Park
- Donovan Mitchell tests positive for COVID-19