(CNN) — Viewers were treated to a glimpse of the world Arrakis — and the giant sandworms that come with it — after the highly anticipated trailer for “Dune” finally dropped on Wednesday.
Based on the 1965 novel by Frank Herbert, the new movie follows the 1984 original film and a 2000 television series. It centers around the desert planet, and the spice melange that’s found on it, which is one of the most valuable resources in the universe.
The film is directed by Denis Villeneuve, who is no stranger to the sci-fi genre, having directed “Blade Runner 2049” and “Arrival.”
The star-studded cast includes Timothée Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, Stellan Skarsgård, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Rebecca Ferguson and Dave Bautista.
“Dune” is scheduled for release on December 18.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- UPDATE: South Salt Lake DMV Office reopens after confirmed COVID case
- Zion National Park and other Utah national parks begin re-opening
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen
- Utah lawmakers approve bill aimed at regulating ‘troubled teen’ centers
- DWR lets people take unlimited number of fish from Wasatch County fishing hole
- Connect KSL to your Amazon Echo Device
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert
- POLICE FOOTAGE Lori Vallow’s ex-husband worried about their missing children and his…
- Another mountain lion spotted in Salt Lake County