(CNN) — Viewers were treated to a glimpse of the world Arrakis — and the giant sandworms that come with it — after the highly anticipated trailer for “Dune” finally dropped on Wednesday.
Based on the 1965 novel by Frank Herbert, the new movie follows the 1984 original film and a 2000 television series. It centers around the desert planet, and the spice melange that’s found on it, which is one of the most valuable resources in the universe.
The film is directed by Denis Villeneuve, who is no stranger to the sci-fi genre, having directed “Blade Runner 2049” and “Arrival.”
The star-studded cast includes Timothée Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, Stellan Skarsgård, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Rebecca Ferguson and Dave Bautista.
“Dune” is scheduled for release on December 18.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Nintendo is bringing back a super-retro handheld from the 1980s
- Family announces they’ll say goodbye to Dixie, a dog burned for revenge
- Military family robbed in Salt Lake City
- New details about Lake Powell boat crash
- Church leaders update COVID-19 safety measures for Utah
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- ‘Anonymous’ hacker group threatens to “expose many crimes” of Minneapolis PD
- APNewsBreak: Lawsuit claims Utah’s Grand America exploited immigrants
- Parents, teachers, students sound off on later school start times
- Congressman’s siblings release an attack ad against their own brother