LANSING, Mich — The FBI says it has thwarted what they are calling an attempt to violently overthrow the government and kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer according to an unsealed criminal complaint.
According to the Detroit News, a federal affidavit unsealed Thursday states the alleged plot was created by several members of a Michigan militia.
The FBI quoted one of the accused as saying Whitmer “has no checks and balances at all. She has uncontrolled power right now. All good things must come to an end.”
“Several members talked about murdering ‘tyrants’ or ‘taking’ a sitting governor,” an FBI agent wrote in the affidavit. “The group decided they needed to increase their numbers and encouraged each other to talk to their neighbors and spread their message.”
The affidavit was filed hours after a federal raid on a home outside of Detroit.
The six men named in the affidavit in connection with the conspiracy to kidnap Witmer were: Adam Fox, Barry Croft, Garbin, Kaleb Franks, Daniel Harris and Brandon Caserta.
Authorities have scheduled a news conference to talk about the case.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidate Conversation: Eric Eliason for 1st District, Congress
- Family releases statement after woman murdered on Tinder date
- Gateway Mall owners say crime is down 79%
- A tiger went on an 800-mile odyssey in search of food, a mate, and a place to call home
- Thousands pay final respects to fallen firefighter
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- San Francisco moves closer to nation’s 1st e-cigarette ban
- Three people gored as running of the bulls ends in Pamplona
- Simple credit card rewards can pay off if you just do a little work