LANSING, Mich — The FBI says it has thwarted what they are calling an attempt to violently overthrow the government and kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer according to an unsealed criminal complaint.
According to the Detroit News, a federal affidavit unsealed Thursday states the alleged plot was created by several members of a Michigan militia.
The FBI quoted one of the accused as saying Whitmer “has no checks and balances at all. She has uncontrolled power right now. All good things must come to an end.”
“Several members talked about murdering ‘tyrants’ or ‘taking’ a sitting governor,” an FBI agent wrote in the affidavit. “The group decided they needed to increase their numbers and encouraged each other to talk to their neighbors and spread their message.”
The affidavit was filed hours after a federal raid on a home outside of Detroit.
The six men named in the affidavit in connection with the conspiracy to kidnap Witmer were: Adam Fox, Barry Croft, Garbin, Kaleb Franks, Daniel Harris and Brandon Caserta.
Authorities have scheduled a news conference to talk about the case.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- Trouble with Teams? Microsoft reports problems with “multiple 365 services.”
- Tentative deal reached on anti-gerrymandering initiative
- Judge slashes jury damages in lawsuit over deaths of Susan Powell’s sons
- “Euthanize the police dog” Social Media calls to cancel Paw Patrol
- Pilot who crashed his own home in Payson had hangar code
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- Officials say man who died was likely gored by bison at Antelope Island
- Update: More birds found dead after Friday night storm
- Utah tourism unemployment at an all time high according to new report