BOUNTIFUL, UT— The Bountiful “Brave” mascot was a flashpoint topic earlier in the year. Community advocates and Native American leaders have been demanding the nearly all-white high school to change the name since July.
Last night, the Davis School District held a “listening session” in the HS auditorium to let the public air their thoughts about whether to keep the Brave mascot or replace it. Chris Williams, the spokesman for the District, says the turnout was a lot lower than he expected.
He says 14 people in total showed up to speak. Granted, Williams says, “we are limiting the input (during the listening sessions) to only current Bountiful HS students, current faculty and staff, and community members (in the Bountiful High system.)”
A bigger issue than perceived waning interest or limited attendees? Probably the Vice Presidential Debate happening in Salt Lake City on Wednesday night. “No question that took a lot of attention (away from the meeting,)” says Williams.
Of the 14 who showed, he says, 9 were in favor of replacing the Bountiful “Brave” mascot. The other 5 wanted to keep the mascot. There will be another listening session next Monday at 6pm in the Bountiful High School auditorium as well.
Williams says the Principal of Bountiful High has the final say in whether the Brave sticks around. He expects that decision to be made in early December.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer Josue Llil, West Valley Police Department
- White meat is just as bad for you as red beef when it comes to your cholesterol
- Doctored videos are already faking the cause of Beirut’s explosion
- 3 sexual assaults in 1 night reported at Utah State University
- Officer Rusty Bingham & Officer Trent Thompson, Riverdale Police Department
- How to trick-or-treat safely across the United States this Halloween
- Sergeant Dusty Butler, Emery County Sheriff’s Office
- Orem among the top 25 best cities to Trick or Treat in America
- Masks still required in Salt Lake City buildings until further notice
- Greg Robinson “Mr. Rob” – Rose Springs Elementary School