MIDWAY, Utah — A Utah woman has died after being hit by a vehicle on Main Street in Midway Saturday night, according to officials. The driver, identified by police as Colby Gertsch, is in police custody.
Gertsch, 39, called the Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, reporting he had hit a pedestrian with his car. He told dispatchers she was seriously injured and not breathing.
The man stayed with the woman until officers arrived on scene.
Upon arrival, Emergency Medical Services began life-saving efforts before transporting the woman to Herber Valley Hospital. She died later that night in the hospital.
The identity of the woman has not yet been released, as officers are working to notify next of kin.
Wasatch Police arrested Gertsch and booked him into the county jail. He was charged with automobile homicide, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, and operating a motor vehicle negligently causing death, according to a statement from the sheriff’s office.
An investigation is still ongoing.
Today’s Top Stories
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- ‘Far Side’ cartoonist Gary Larson publishes first new work in 25 years
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Prosecutors warn parents about online safety after more than 100 predators arrested within…
- Orem police ask for help finding missing 7-year-old girl
- Opinion: Feed Utah food drive demonstrates what Utah does best
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- Live Mic: Former Secret Service agents talk about protecting Joe Biden
- New study: excessive screen time can stunt child development
- Devin Lauritzen, Iron County